Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Wish Upon a Star

In one of the stories in Richard Bach’s Curious Lives, the ferret teacher tells the kindergarten ferrets that each one of us has a star- one unique star that is always there when we look up. She tells them to dream – to listen to the heart and that if you close your eyes, and allow yourself to really access that voice within, you will know what it is that you are meant to do. And when you need a reminder, all you need is to look up at your star and you will know that someone knows your dreams and that will restore your faith – in yourself and your life.

To dream is to seek the ideal and to chase the esoteric- and I used to think that dreaming was the easy part. It was creating that bridge of action towards achieving that dream that created a problem. Off late I find myself in a very unlikely situation. I dreamt the dreams and now I seem to have just stopped. I continue to want things but a fear that they may not be achievable is becoming stronger and more disturbing is the fact that I have begun to question my dreams – to temper them with reality. So it turns out they are not really dreams- more like a mission statement for life. And there is something so clinical about that- so real that it scares me.

There is a concept in most spiritual circles which talks about living in the present – doing things here and now and doing them with all your heart without a thought to either the past or the future. And that, it is believed, will teach you to truly enjoy life. I begun to subscribe to that and live life a day at a time. I stopped planning too much and just – well I just lived. But, I now find, to me that is not really living – it’s more like existing.

The few times these days when I really dream - of the completely child like idea life, it gives me a happy feeling - the stability of living in the present is just a sad compromise. I am talking about that blissful smile that comes with the possibility of a happily ever after, the smile that shows you are a thousand miles away in a world of your own; the smile from the heart that knows things will be perfect.

And when you smile that smile, you know what perfect is – your own perfect. But to even get a small bit of it, you have to be able to see it.

Hum of the Day
Today I wish upon my star – to help me dream the dreams I used to have- for I know, that when the dream is back, the drive to achieve it will surface by itself. My heart knows it – I’m looking for the right ray of light that makes it visible to me again. I looked up. My star smiled down.

1 comment:

Gauri said...

Beautifully written !!:) Read it many times over :) lol