Wednesday, July 18, 2007

No higher goals

I have decided that no one likes change. Anyone who tells you they like is just trying to make you feel bad. Think about it. Who would want to voluntarily move out of a comfort zone. Its like saying- what do i do today- oh yeah.. let me just take my entire life.. toss it up in the air.
Let me go to that new job, let me work those long hours.. figure out the new boss...get used to another odd guy who works with me... learn to work with a new voice screaming on the phone. Or would you really move cities, leave friends behind, start afresh for boredom or for thr challange of it all? no way.
These things are always borne of some kind of a need- money, potential for money (thats what we all call need for challange and growth) or power. If not, most people who say they are stagnating intellectually etc would join the social sector. Where is there greater challange? you are doing work that is intelligent, helping the needy making the world a better place etc.
Oh, not to lose track, what makes me ponder change. Well it does not take einstein to figure the obvious. But the less obvious was an observation regarding a new senior member of my team. Remember how i said work is a leveller, well it is. Irrespective of levels, change makes people jittery, it makes them unsure of themselves and always makes them wonder if the older option was better. Unless of course you ran away from a job from hell. In which case you will probably be just be so happy to be in a less unhappy enviornment - give it time- you will join the race of us mortals.

Hum of the day
I like comfort. I like knowing how to deal with things. I do not like to prove myself.I do not like to have people testing me and i do not like unfamilar situations. And most of all i do not like people who tell me that they love these things. I am only human with no higher objectives. I like to be liked, i like to be successful and yes, if i can do it with ease, i like it even more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey...

First, what I agree with. Would someone leave their "comfort zone" behind for the "boredom" or "challenge" of it - probably not.

Now to what I seem to have a slightly differing opinion. Do you think you've covered all possibilities by talking about money, potential for money and power? Aren’t these, to quote a clichéd analogy, the symptoms and not really the cause? In fact, aren't even “boredom” and “challenge” similar? Do you think there is a stronger undercurrent that drives such exoduses? And today, aren't people riding (or being ridden by) this current more than ever? (I may not be an authority on 'ever', but you get the drift)

Which then brings us to another point. Regarding your contention that no one likes to move out of their comfort zones, if that’s the assumption that we work with, then the majority of the people should be in their CZs (i.e. they have made their zones and are reluctant to move). Now, there’s no way to know if someone is in a CZ or not, but a logical extension of this would be that these majority of people (in their CZ) should be comfortable aka HAPPY. Are the majority happy being where they are?...and if that is negative, then our hypothesis is negative. Maybe then, the question really should be, do people know where their CZ lies??

Love
Shishir

PS...congratulations on the move towards your CZ!