Monday, July 19, 2010

Judge, think, yawn!

We judge the strangest things. Really we do. The other day my husband received an email address for someone. It was a hotmail id. And my instant response was “who uses hotmail these days”. Apparently a lot of people! But it just goes to show how effective gmail has been in capturing the mind space of email users. I remember hotmail was my first email id, then yahoo and other email ids which had more mailbox space. Until I moved to gmail! Thereafter I never moved to anything else.

It’s all about branding. And the brands you use often speak volumes – about how influenced we are by what marketers tell us as well as of how accurately they actually understand our mindset.

Anyways I started thinking. I get really annoyed when people judge others by the place they live in, the locality, the car they drive, who they know etc. And here I was, forming an image of a person because of the email id that they use. Has technology just broadened the scope for stereotypes? Is it now a very effective tool to put people into slots? Or do I just have too much time on my hands?!!!

Hum of the day
I am in office, got a random thought. Decided to pen it down - don’t judge me!

No comments: