Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Don't Want. Don't Have.

My maid’s drunken husband beat her up last night. She told me she gets one meal a day sometimes not even that. Her daughters have never seen school and 2 meals 2 days in a row are a dream they doubt they will achieve. And the shocking part is yet to come – I was NOT shocked. That’s when it hit me. The apathy we have come to exist in. I feel sorry for I feel angry but I am not surprised – a clear indication of the sheer quantum of such episodes all around.

Somewhere I think I am losing perspective on life. Getting caught up in the daily chores of work, in hoping for my own life to sort out and in doing so, enlarging the significance of my own existence. There is a concept of giving yourself too much importance, yet there is the increasing thought that if you do not who will. Is there a correct answer? I doubt it. But here is a simple thought, when feeling like your life is complicated and often unfair, just remember to be grateful – not just for things you have but for things you don’t want and don’t have as well.

Hum of the day: Thank you for giving me a home. Thank you for giving me a family. Thank you for giving me parents. Thank you for parents that love me. Thank you for parents that love each other. Thank you for the life that my family has provided me with. Thank you for the security of knowing where every meal will come from. Thank you for never giving me a chance to worry about an unwanted scar on either my body or my soul. Thank you for the ability to recognize the gift you have given me. Thank you.

No comments: