Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Life or something like it


For the past month or so, we have had a spate of man-films. Action-packed punches, guns and abusive language. At its best it was thrillers, murders or episodes of “Castle”. To add to it, I picked up “House of Silk” – the new Sherlock Homes novel. All gripping, all interesting, all absorbing – but all mind-twisting as well. I started to feel like I was living on the sets of an action movie and even in my sleep, all I see is stuff about murders, lawsuits and unpleasant things. So, yesterday, I decided that I had enough (we saw the Dark Knight Rises).

Two new girlfriends and I made a plan to go see what we thought was a chick-flick. “Ted” turned out to be the worst movie I have seen in my life. It actually may have been the worst movie the three of us have see collectively – and yes we walked out.

But, turned out, today I seem to have found a life – or something like it. The movie was preceded by lunch at a nice continental restaurant and lots of female chatter and coffee. It was followed up with more chatter and coffee – a session that ended because our husbands beckoned. I think I made two new “friends” today in a more real sense than I expected to.

“Life” as I had planned it included a career, a certain environment and a whole lot of things. But today, I found that I had most of it. No career – but that will happen soon. In the interim, in a new country I have a group of friends; I have places to go and things to enjoy. I have laughter in the day; I have people to at least vent a little with. I have a small sense of a life other than my husband. That may not be “the life” but it’s a life. And it’s a life worth living.

Hum of the Day
Everyone says attitude is what shapes your life. To me it’s not attitude, its expectations - tempered expectations and a willing to face life head on with all that it offers. I no longer want to fear what life holds for me and I don’t want to plan and expect certain things to happen. I feared the time on my hands and decided to start my day early and meet that fear head on. I did not expect anything more than acquaintances but found friends. Life may not be what we expect but perhaps life as is comes is life as we all know it. We just need to embrace it. 

3 comments:

Gauri said...

Love this post !!

Jack said...

Pria,

First visit. Read all current posts. I like the way you sum up at the end in HUM. Boss taking advantage of girl, I will not call it right at all. It is upto one to make life what he or she wants it to be. I agree that an idea put in simple words makes sense to many.

Take care

Pria said...

Thanks Jack and welcome to my blog.

Hope to see you back.

TC