Sunday, August 26, 2012

Simplifying "Musings"

Since childhood I have been a voracious reader - and have also been gifted with the ability to use complicated words, speak and write in long sentences and essentially exterminate any possible simplicity in my life. This filters down to complicated thoughts, thinking about things not worth the effort and worrying and analyzing endlessly.

I think one of my first few posts or articles used the word "musing". My sister was innately amused and called me to laugh at inability to use simple words. I went on to marry a man whose life mantra is "keep things simple". Poor guy did not know what he was in for.

For the longest time, writing was cathartic and somewhere and somehow, I used complicated words to simplify my complicated thoughts. Then, in my head, my life got too complicated for words and I pretty much stopped writing - except sporadically when I felt a wave of fresh air or some hope in my life.

Then today, sitting at my window, staring at the muddy Bahraini concrete around me, I realized that life is not worth all that incessant musing. I was remembered a dialogue from a new series I like to watch "Bunheads" - "Sometimes, there aren't words which are enough. Sometimes, there is nothing to day -you have to do something" (that's my interpretation of what I remember of it).

Simple words. Simple thought. Very effective.

Life is not complicated, life is not boring and its not monotonous or frustrating - unless you choose to make it that way. And like all choices, those choices are also what we live with and those are the choices we answer to when we look in the mirror.

So instead of saying and planning and thinking - I've started doing. I have started using the gym,eating healthier, reading, dreaming (not planning) and just doing what I need to for that dream life to come true.

Do I have time on my hands - "yes" if I see it as a void and "no" if I acknowledge the number of books I still want to read, the weight I want to lose, the health I want to gain, the knowledge I want to enhance and the experience I want to live.

Hum of the Day

Actions speak louder than words. They resonate in your being more than any words can. Your "being" will thank you for it - for a someone once said, we regret what we don't do more than what we do. So as Nike profoundly says "Just Do It".

1 comment:

Gauri said...

hahaha! you were bang on in your 1st para of this post ;) But I agree with what you are mulling over. I saw the movie "Touch back" yesterday and there were two things that stayed with me.
1) Life is simple. It's up to us to keep it that way
2) If you aren't satisfied with what you have you will probably never be satisfied with what you get.
Keep up the simple touch I say !